Wednesday, April 7, 2010

MURCIELAGO BELICOSO


After a month (or a little longer) hiatus, I am back and ready for more blog entries! Sorry to all of you who check this blog with any regularity. The last month has been crazy between loosing my job, family members in and out of hospitals, and our house deal falling through... But, I know that without a great cigar, I would be more of a wreck than I already am!

So, today was a beautiful day to jump in the herf-mobile to light up a good stick. I was listening to Bob and Dale on the iPod and decided that a Murcielago would be a great accompaniment to a good Dog Watch cigar podcast. I bought a box of these Murcielagos from Joe Fuller at fullerspullers.com around last November and have been smoking these on and off ever since. I chose the Belicoso size of 5.5 x 52 ring gauge. The Murcielago brand was made for EO Brands by Don Pepin in Nicaragua. "Made with a dark rich maduro wrapper grown in the fertile volcanic soil of the San Andres Valley in Mexico with a binder grown in the same region. Blended with rich Nicaraguan filler, the cigar is rich in maduro flavor with hints of spice that the Nicaraguan filler brings out." - atlanticCigar.com

Pre Light:
This smoke is VERY earthy with lots of chicken coup, barnyard and wet grass scents to it. The wrapper is dark and milk chocolaty.

Light:
After lighting this stick I was hit with some of those earthy flavors, but, a ton of spice and black pepper over shaddowed those distinct mexican tobacco flavors. The maduro wrapper added to the exotic spice and deep rich coffee flavor that tickled your tong every so often.

After Taste:
The Murcielago leaves your mouth coated with rich and meaty flavors, that stay with you much like a black peppercorn crusted steak leaves your mouth coated with the greasy, savory, peppery juice long after you take your last bite.

Over all, this cigar is a great cigar, but is definatly on the fuller boddied and flavor side. Many new cigar smokers may find this cigar to be too peppery and meaty for their liking. I look for that in a cigar and enjoy the bold flavors this cigar has to offer. If you buy a couple, I would recomend that you age this cigar slightly to let the flavors melt together and mellow and blend slightly. If you are looking to take the next step into your cigar adventure, deffinatly give this one a try!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Adam,

    I was searching the web for some cigar sites or Blogs and came across yours. I must say that I'm very happy that I did, I find your Blog quit refreshing and I'm always pleased whenever I see a young person getting interested in the passion of cigars, but first,
    let me introduce myself.
    My name is Guy,I'm french and I live in the south of France.I grew up in the USA and left
    when I was 22 years old to see the world and finally came back to France about 27 years ago.
    I've been smoking Habano cigars for close to 39 years and still learning,that's the best part of smoking cigars, you never know everything. LOL
    In 1994, I created a cigar club here near the city of NIMES. We are about 36 members today and we enjoy great foods, great wines and of course, great cigars. We are mostly a Habanos smoking club but once in a while we smoke NC's (which by the way are very difficult to find because no one would buy them.) Thanks to my buddy in N.J. , I sometimes ask him to send me some that I find could be of interest but on the whole, they are all very disappointing.
    However, I like to stay informed on the developments of the NC market in the states.
    Anyway, ALL that just to say that I really enjoy your blog and hope to read more of your comments on cigars and tastings. I'm very sorry to hear that you are out of work and that your plans have been delayed but I'm sure that you'll be able to get back to a good job soon. I wish you lots of luck for the future.
    Until then, I hope to read more of your reviews on cigars and keep up the good job you're doing on this blog.OH, I also enjoy the Dogwatch cigar show with Bob & Dale. LOL
    Take care,
    Amicalement,
    Guy Buscéma,
    Calvisson, France

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you Guy! I really appreciate your support. It is great to hear that people are getting what I am trying to accomplish with this blog, provide a refreshing approach to cigars, with a view from a younger generation.
    It is interesting to me that the NC market is so frowned upon in other countries. The stigma of "Cubans are the best" is slowly melting away. I have definitely had my share of Cubans, and I can say that NC are on par if not exceed some Cubans in quality. I am not a fan of narrow mindedness, and it is refreshing to hear that as a citizen of France, you are keeping your eyes wide open to the whole cigar market. Keep it up, and my best wishes to you and your club!

    Adam

    ReplyDelete