Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Joya Cubana Gran Merito Robusto


Last night, I had the pleasure of smoking a wonderful cigar, sent to me from FullersPullers.com for the DogWatch Cigar Radio club. Joe does an excellent job picking out some amazing smokes, and I always look forward to my monthly shipment. I smoked a Joya Cubana Gran Merito Robusto. This cigar is a 5 x 52 ring gauge. It has a Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper, with a Nicaraguan/Honduran filler and a Nicaraguan binder.

Pre Light:
This cigar surprised me a little on the prelight. As I examined the cigar, it felt a bit hard. But after cutting it, I found the draw to give just the right amount of air. Smelling the wrapper, I got a very earthy and woody scents, with notes of sweetness and butterscotch.

Light:
Right off the bat, this cigar was creamy with sweet vanilla. As I smoked through it, I got hints of mint and black pepper. This cigar was discribed as spicy from other reviews, but I defninately wouldn't consider that to be a main note of the cigar. The spicyness of the cigar was a more sublte flavor that coated your mouth like a Chinnese hot mustard, it was gone almost as fast as it came.

Retro-Hale:
Blowing this ciagr's smoke through my nose produced tastes that I would never have gotten from just smokeing the cigar. In addition to more black pepper, I picked up hints of sweet paprika and mint. Retro-haleing this cigar is like taking a bite of wasabi paste. It is a mild spicyness, but tickles the hairs on your head for just a moment.

After Taste:
I was not able to detect too many falvors on the after taste. The finish was short and sweet.


Overall, this is a wonderful medium bodied smoke pushing the edge of full bodied. I would
recommend this smoke, but would like to smoke a few more before I decide to buy a box. One
of the great attributes of small production cigars is the fact that they are always coming
out with something new. I am excited to see what else Joya Cubana will have to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment