Monday, April 26, 2010

Texas Cigar Festival - After thoughts


First of all, I want to thank Ron at seriouscigars.com for putting on such a great event. All I can say is WOW. Amazing! I also want to thank Teresa Merchant of smokinghotcigarchick.com and Tim Black for carting me around and allowing me to do what I do best... shmooze with people about cigars! My trip started out wonderful, I was taken to an amazing BBQ joint in Houston recommended by Tim called Vergis BBQ. That was probably some of the best BBQ I have ever had, and I would expect nothing less from a trip to Texas. Next we had to stop at Target for a few things. I was persuaded into trying on some superman underwear for a picture opportunity (over my shorts of course), and then was posted all over the internet for cigar lover's viewing pleasure... What I will do for a little publicity... Next we headed over to Ron's shop. This is unlike any B & M I have ever been to. It is BY FAR the largest humidor, wrapping all the way around the store with the lounge in the middle. I pulled out some special smokes and shared them with friends for a little pre-event treat. While smoking, in walks Jonathan Drew and Dion Giolito. I got to talking with them and then in walks David. David is sporting a new tattoo of the Liga Privada logo from Drew Estate. Needless to say Jonathan Drew freaks out. Then the crowd gathered, and gathered, and gathered until it wrapped all the way around the building. The anticipation of the crowd was building and building, until finally they opened the gate. Immediately we were welcomed with a gift bag full of smokes, a full buffet of food and open bar. All the cigar makers were there (see below for a list). All the stars were aligned for a magical night, and a magical night it was. Amazing conversations, laughs, and cigars were had by all. The event was like a merging of a Big Smoke and the IPCPR conventions. Everyone was out to impress. The manufacturers were loose and wanting to talk to us. With out the pressure of filling orders, or selling their products, the manufacturers were much less stressed than a IPCPR, and because the event was limited to 500 people, I actually had a chance to have good conversations with all of them.

After the event ended, a few of us and most of the manufacturers went to a cigar bar called Downing Street. What an amazing place! It is a very rare thing to be able to drink, eat and smoke all in one place these days, and I felt privileged to have experienced that. I spent most of the rest of the night bull shitting with Pete Johnson. He is such an amazing guy, and one of the funniest people I have met. Of course, when you are in the company of a good cigar and a cream soda (Pete's favorite alcoholic beverage), what could be better? Over all, I felt so welcomed by not only Teresa and Tim, but the whole cigar community as well. I can't wait for next year, and I hope and pray there are many more events like the Texas Cigar Festival to come.

Please check out the newbiecigarblog on facebook for all the pictures from the event. And while you are there, leave me a comment and become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newbie-Cigar-Blog/276912613298?ref=ts

1 comment: