Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter Wonderland...


Sometimes it sucks to live in Minnesota. The older I get (and I am still young), the more I wonder "why the heck do I live on this frozen tundra!?" Many people have the misconception that we as Minnesotans do little other than forage through the forest, hunting dear, ice fishing, or mushing a dog sled. That may be more of a reality for Alaskans, but here in Minnesota, we have a vibrant cultural area called the Twin Cities (also known as Minneapolis/St. Paul). You would be surprised at the amount of gourmet food and wine, music and ethnic food establishments there are here. The one thing this area lacks, are good cigar bars or lounges. Yes there are a couple, but on a snowy day, when your car is in the shop, where can you go smoke? A lounge of course!
Before the Super Bowl last Sunday, I ventured down to a south metro city named Burnsville. This area will become my home town, hopefully in April, as we are waiting to see if an offer was excepted my wife and I put in on a house there. There is a wonderful smoke shop and lounge called "BURN." I walked in and I instantly received a warm welcome from the owner James. This was the complete opposite experience than my previous one at a different tobacco shop (read below "Can I Help You?"). James and I talked for quite a while about the CRA, the tobacco business and his cigars.
One of the cigars he was excited and proud about was a serialized jar of Viaje Exclusivos. I purchased a few, and lit one up right away. This cigar is meaty, and chocolaty, with hints of leather and a bit of sweetness reminiscent of french vanilla. The overall word I would use for this cigar is balanced. I very nice treat indeed! I will have to purchase a few more of these smokes and give them a proper review. James also told me that Viaje had held a drawing across the country to choose where a batch very limited production cigars called, "Double Edged Swords" were going to be carried. BURN won the drawing, along with four other shops across the country.
Overall, BURN gave me hope once again in the Brick and Mortar establishments. We are lucky to be able to smoke in these places, and it is owners like James that perpetuate the good name and nature of premium cigars.

No comments:

Post a Comment