Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My first Blog

Greeting cyberspace! Welcome to my humble blog. This blog is mainly a place for me to write about cigars, and to share with you, the readers, my thoughts, feelings, and experiences as a young cigar hobbyist. My name is Adam, and at most cigar sites I go by the "Soundman"as a screen name. I am 27 years old, and live in the Twin Cites area of Minnesota. I am married, and don't have any children at the moment. My wife is a school teacher, so that has proven to be good contraception.

I can deduce that if you are reading this, you are more interested in cigars than my life, so let's get to it!

Let me explain my setup. I have three desktop humidors. Two of which are at home, and one I keep on my desk at the office. The two at home have the capacity to hold around 100 - 150 cigars, the one at the office, is small and holds more like 25-30 (if it is really packed). Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will.
I also have what I call an "end table" humidor. This humidor looks like an end table in my family room, but if you open it up, it is a humidor. This is where I keep my boxes of cigars, plus some singles in a drawer. I find this to be a wonderful addition (if you can spare a few hundred dollars), because it allows me to box age some cigars. Granted this is not a huge humidor, I currently have about 10 boxes of cigars just in that humidor.

So, if you are just starting out and wanting to gather information, here are a couple of sites you should check out:

The first one is http://www.stogiefresh.com/
This is run by Doc. He is a really animated (sometimes overly) guy that expresses his passion for cigars through his website and pod cast. I have found many useful tips on his website and encourage anyone interested in cigars to check his site out. You can download his pod cast directly from his website, or via iTunes.

The next site that I visit, almost daily is http://www.cigarmedia.tv/
This is the home to Dogwatch Cigar Radio. Bob and Dale, by far, are my favorite cigar pod casters. Their explanations on cigars they are smoking are beyond descriptive, and they are always striving to bring you interviews and news going on in the cigar world. I have learned a tremendous amount from those guys alone.

So, on to what I have been smoking. Typically I smoke a stick at lunch time. I am blessed to get an hour for lunch, so I usually jump in my mobile herf-mobile and have a smoke. Today, I smoked a 1961 Rocky Patel, I believe it was a robusto size. Rocky Patel, in my opinion, prides himself on full body smokes. So I was slightly surprised when I found this smoke to be more medium bodied. The pre light aroma smelled like sweet hay, and the wrapper was nice with just s few veins visible. The first few puffs were the RP spice I look forward to in an RP cigar, but I found that the spice mellowed as I smoked the cigar. It has nice characters of leather and black pepper. According to Rocky's website, this cigar has a Habano seed wrapper from Ecuador, a Honduran binder and Nicaraguan fillers.

http://www.rockypatel.com/html/1961.html

Thanks for checking this blog out, I will be sure to update it as often as I can!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Adam,

    I was searching the web for some cigar sites or Blogs and came across yours. I must say that I'm very happy that I did, I find your Blog quit refreshing and I'm always pleased whenever I see a young person getting interested in the passion of cigars, but first,
    let me introduce myself.
    My name is Guy,I'm french and I live in the south of France.I grew up in the USA and left
    when I was 22 years old to see the world and finally came back to France about 27 years ago.
    I've been smoking Habano cigars for close to 39 years and still learning,that's the best part of smoking cigars, you never know everything. LOL
    In 1994, I created a cigar club here near the city of NIMES. We are about 36 members today and we enjoy great foods, great wines and of course, great cigars. We are mostly a Habanos smoking club but once in a while we smoke NC's (which by the way are very difficult to find because no one would buy them.) Thanks to my buddy in N.J. , I sometimes ask him to send me some that I find could be of interest but on the whole, they are all very disappointing.
    However, I like to stay informed on the developments of the NC market in the states.
    Anyway, ALL that just to say that I really enjoy your blog and hope to read more of your comments on cigars and tastings. I'm very sorry to hear that you are out of work and that your plans have been delayed but I'm sure that you'll be able to get back to a good job soon. I wish you lots of luck for the future.
    Until then, I hope to read more of your reviews on cigars and keep up the good job you're doing on this blog.OH, I also enjoy the Dogwatch cigar show with Bob & Dale. LOL
    Take care,
    Amicalement,
    Guy Buscéma,
    Calvisson, France

    ReplyDelete