Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cigars on Ice


Most people have the misconception that only Jesus can walk on water. And, most people aren’t from Minnesota. Up here, for 3 months out of each year, we are able to reenact this great miracle. Some of us sit on a bucket outside on the ice, with a short pole, waiting for the fish to bite. Others of us, spend thousands of dollars to sit on the ice in the lap of luxury, watching satellite tv, sitting in leather recliners in our “spare living room” that often times is nicer than our homes. Though I don’t go to that extreme, I do enjoy ice fishing in a revamped pop up camper, with some good friends and good cigars. This year, we went back up north to the Crosslake area of MN. With fishing gear in tow and a nice La Gloria Cubana in mouth, I was set for a great manly weekend. It wasn’t until I was parked at the public landing, and a Gurkha Master Select #6 later, we went to get more bait. We pulled up to the landing, and looked at these black pieced of plastic lying by my car. Looking up, I realized someone had obviously hit my car and drove off. The nerve of some people! Luckily I was in the company of good friends and cigars to calm me down.
This brings me to my point of this article. Some people are blessed to be able to smoke indoors whenever they want. Some people are lucky enough that the weather is nice all year round and can enjoy their favorite stick on a nice patio. But, none of that matters as long as you have good company and good cigars. As I sat on the ice, pondering who the bastard was who hit my car, standing outside in -15 degree wind chill, I realized something. Life is too short to bitch about a stupid car, or how I have to smoke outside, even when it is cold. All that matters is that you are with the people you love, doing what you love. Life is not always about what you do, it is how you do it. As long as you have passion for everything you do, then life is worth it. Take a look at the cigar you are smoking. Up to 500 hands have touched that cigar, giving it all the love, care and passion that it deserves. Next time you have to smoke in a less than ideal place, just take a minute to reflect on your passion for life, and the passion that went into that roll of tobacco. Both you and the cigar deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment